Schneider Building

Location: Hancock  Interest: Email or Print

One of Hancock’s larger brick buildings, the Schneider building was built in 1906 to house the Schneider bar on its first floor. The sandstone faced first floor housed two store fronts – one belonging to the saloon while the other housed an insurance agent. The upper floors – faced with alternating cream and red colored bricks – was home to four large apartments. The apartments featured two bedrooms, a bathroom, a kitchen with elaborate pantry, and a front parlor. Sandstone belt courses run above the first floor and feature the building’s name inscribed over the main entrance. The structure is topped off by an elaborate cornice held in place by a series of oversized brackets.

NOTES: The building continues to house a bar on its first floor – though the name has changed over the years. Its upper floors also continue to be used for apartments.

DIRECTIONS: The Schneider Building sits on the right side of Quincy Street in downtown Hancock, three and a half blocks west of the Hotel Scott.


Be sure to stop by the Copper Country Forum to discuss anything related to the Keweenaw!