Mohawk

Town Map |  Area Map

While the copper rich Kearsarge Lode was successfully tracked for several miles north of Calumet, the trail ran cold on the other side of the Allouez Gap. The first mine to attempt to find the northern extension of the lode was the Fulton, which failed to find any copper and was quickly abandoned. But it was the discovery of pieces of copper clinging to the roots of a fallen tree that had perked the interest of John Stanton, who bought the Fulton lands and began new explorations near the fallen tree. Under the tree was a shallow copper lode, that turned out to the that northern extension of the Kearsarge that the Fulton had unsuccessfully attempted to find.

The Mohawk was one of the last mines to open along the Kearsarge, but it happen to be one of the most successful. A total of six shafts were sunk along the length of the lode, and a thriving community sprung up alongside it which would become the town of Mohawk. By 1920 the success of the mine prompted the street railway company to extend its line to the town, establishing Mohawk as the northern frontier of the Keweena'w copper empire.

NOTES:Even with the Mohawk Mine's closing in the 30's, the town of Mohawk was able to survive thanks greatly to the Ahmeek No. 3/4 which sat on the town's south side. This mine would continue to operate for decades later, operated by C&H into the 50's. Because of this a great deal of the town still remains to this day.



DIRECTIONS: Follow US41 north out of Houghton for 16 miles, 5 miles north of Calumet. Once in town, continue straight onto Stanton Ave to enter downtown (at the park)