With the massive success of the C&H Mine atop the highly copper-rich Calumet Conglomerate Lode, mine companies quickly migrated to the area in hopes to tap into the lodes outer extensions. Though several mines found the Calumet Conglomerate Lode, it became clear that the lode's richness was concentrated only under C&H property. Outside of that the lode frustratingly ran dry. But success would soon follow for those companies that persisted - with the discovery of the nearby Kearsarge Amygdaloid Lode in 1881.
The copper in the Kearsarge Lode wasn't as extensive as the Calumet Lode, but it proved rich enough to support more then a dozen mines along its substantial length for several generations. Stretching over ten miles between Oneco in the south and Ojibway to the north, the Kearsarge would be the longest continual lode over discovered in the Keweenaw. During its lifetime it would account for nearly 20 percent of all copper ever mined in the Keweenaw, and would be mined continuously for over 80 years.
The first mine to strike it rich along the Kearsarge Amygdaloid was its namesake - the Kearsarge Mine. That mine was soon followed by a second to its south - the Wolverine Mine. The Kearsarge Mine established a small town near its property to house its workers, as did its neighbor to the south. As these two mining locations grew they merged together into one large town complete with school, stores, and a interurban railway station. Today the town is known more commonly as Kearsarge - after the Kearsarge Mine.
NOTES: With the closure of both the Wolverine and Kearsarge Mines during the Depression, the great deal of the town's population moved to greener pastures. But with the opening of the nearby Centennial No. 6 the town underwent a small revival, sustaining the town well into the 1960's and rescuing it from becoming yet another ghost town. Today the town consists mostly of homes, but a small store still exists in the old Wolverine Location.