Lieblein House

Location: Hancock  Interest: Email or Print

Built in 1895 for the owner of a prominent Hancock clothing store, the Lieblein House was bought by Edward Lieblein at the turn of the century. Lieblein was the owner of a major wholesale grocer with outlets in both Hancock and Calumet. His warehouses sat less then a block away on Hancock Street. Built in the Queen Anne Style, this three story house featured a prominent circular spired tower topped on its south-east corner. It’s front façade is dominated by a large covered porch which curves around along its western face. The house stayed in the Lieblein family for generations – finally being sold to Suomi College many decades later.

NOTES: This is a private residence and is not open to the public. It can, however, be viewed from the adjacent road.

DIRECTIONS: The Lieblein House sits on a large corner lot on the Finlandia University Campus. Upon entering Hancock along US41, turn left onto Quincy Street and follow the highway downtown. Continue down the road for four blocks and the house will be on the right.


Be sure to stop by the Copper Country Forum to discuss anything related to the Keweenaw!