href="https://

Historic Homes

At the Copper Country's peak, nearly a hundred thousand people lived within Houghton and Keweenaw counties. The major mining companies had over 13,000 people on its payrolls, with the numerous support industries in the region adding several thousand more. This large workforce necessitated a great deal of housing - a requirement that the mine companies in such a remote and wild land were forced to provide.

For the most part, company housing was uniform and simple - two stories consisting of a kitchen, pantry, living space, and a few bedrooms. The company leases out the house to its workers for very little cost, often a dollar per room per month. However, the houses built for mine captains and company executives were something else entirely. These were grand Victorian designs, built in the Queen Ann style and featuring covered porches, ornate turrets, and enclosed by a sandstone wall topped by iron fencing.


Agassiz House

Calumet - This impressive home erected next door to C&H's main offices served as a residence for mine president Alexandar Agassiz. Learn More...

Campbell House

Laurium - One of the last grand homes to be built in Laurium, this brick behemoth was the home of Calumet & Arizona mining company attorney who would later serve as the company's president. Learn More...

Carlton House

Laurium - This Colonial Revival beauty was crafted out of sandstone for hardware retailer Frank Carlton, who would go one to become the first president of Michigan's Retail Hardware Association. Learn More...

Close House

Hancock - This stately brick and shingled house was built in 1902 for a local businessmen that began his career as bookkeeper for the Fist National Bank of Hancock. Learn More...

Daniell House

Laurium - This large home was built for the widow of Osceola Mine captain and famed Tamarack Mine architect John Daniell around 1905. Learn More...

Harris House

Hancock - After becoming superintendent of the Quincy Mine, Samuel Harris was able to build this massive brick house in the prestigious neighborhood of East Hancock around 1909. Learn More...

James Hoatson House

Laurium - This stately home was built for mining entrepreneur James Hoatson, who made his fortunes out west thanks to the Calumet & Arizona Mining Company. Learn More...

Thomas Hoatson House

Laurium - Easily the largest and most opulent home in the Keweenaw, this massive 13,000 square feet 45 room masterpiece was built in 1908 for the vice president of the Calumet and Arizona Mining Company. Learn More...

Kauth House

Hancock - This classical revival style house was built for local businesmen Andrew Kauth, who owned several successful saloons in the Hancock area. Learn More...

Latowski House

This stately home was built for Laurium Mining Company president Joseph Latowski in a rather subdued Queen Anne style. Learn More...

Lieblein House

Hancock - Originally built in 1895, this iconic Victorian home would become the home of Edward Lieblein, owner of a popular wholesale grocer. Learn More...

MacDonald House

Laurium - This rather impressive brick mansion was built for druggist Norman MacDonald and featured over 34 rooms and six fireplaces. Learn More...

Milligan House

Laurium - This Classical Revival home was built in 1907 for long time C&H superintendent Captain James Milligan. Learn More...

Central Miner's House

Central - This simple home was originally one of dozens of identical houses built by the Central Mining Company to house workers and their families. Learn More...

Roehm House

Laurium - Skilled stone mason and local contractor Paul Roehm built this impressive sandstone masterpiece as a showpiece home for his company. Learn More...

Stratton House

Hancock - This small unassuming house was the childhood home for famed pottery artist Mary Chase Perry Stratton - founder of Detroit based Pewabic Pottery. Learn More...

Central Superintendent's House

Central - This large home was built by the Central Mine for its superintendent to reside in when visiting the minesite. Learn More...

Wolverine Superintendent's House

Kearsarge - This large house served as the home for the Wolverine Mine's superintendent. Learn More...

Thielman House

Laurium - Built for lumber tycoon William Thielman, this beautiful home exemplifies the Victorian age Queen Anne style of architecture. Learn More...

Vivian House

Laurium - This tree shrouded home was built in 1896 for businessman Johnson Vivian, whose local department store had quickly grown to become one of the region's largest. Learn More...