href="https://

Historic Churches

The level of pay and benefits offered by the Keweenaw Copper Mines attracted workers and their families from all around the globe in the search of a better life in America. Once arriving to the Keweenaw these immigrants often found themselves in an alien world unlike anything they had previously known. Alone and lost, these immigrants turned to local churches to fill the gap, churches that were often segregated by ethnicity as well as denomination.

Mine companies actively encouraged the formation of churches, often providing land and materials free of charge to local congregations. To prospective employers like the mine companies, a church-going worker was a far superior breed and highly desired. This encouragement allowed for larger congregations to erect massive and highly ornate cathedrals, mirroring those old-Europe styled cathedrals that reminded immigrants of their far-way homelands. The result was a collection of some of the most grand and opulent churches ever erected in Michigan.


Finnish Lutheran Chruch

Jacobsville - Hidden deep within the thick foilage of a cedar forest, this remote country church was built in 1891 by Finnish immigrants working the fields and quarries along the Portage River. Learn More...

First Congregational Church

Lake Linden - Built in the Victorian "Stick Style" in 1887, this wood framed church served both workers and managers alike from the neighboring C&H Stamp Mills. Learn More...

Grace United Methodist Church

Houghton - This Romanesque styled sandstone church was built in 1893 by the region's first Methodist congregation. Learn More...

Holy Redeemer Church

Eagle Harbor - This rather plain and uninspiring building holds the distinction of being the Copper Country's first Catholic church, erected in 1854. Learn More...

Lady of the Pines Church

Copper Harbor - Built entirely out of hand-hewn pine, this rustic Catholic church was built in 1952 to serve Copper Harbor's seasonal residents. Learn More...

Methodist Church

Central - Serving the predominately Cornish residents of the small mining town of Central, this unique battlement topped church was built in 1868 to mimic similar churches found in Cornwall. Learn More...

Paine Memorial Church

Painesdale - This simple gothic inspired church was built in 1907 in honor of Rev. Albert Paine, father of the town's namesake William Paine. Learn More...

Phoenix Church

Phoenix - This picturesque church was originally located in the neighboring mining town of Cliff, before being moved here after the mine's abandonment. Learn More...

St. Anne's Church

Calumet - Built in 1901 to serve the regions French Canadian population, this archetypical Gothic beauty is an intimidating presence along Calumet's main thoroughfare. Learn More...

St. Ignatius Loyola Church

Houghton - Taking over four years to complete, this massive sandstone cathedral soaring high above Houghton's skyline has served the city'c Catholic population for over a century. Learn More...

St. John the Baptist Church

Calumet - Em-blazed with the Croatian crest above its from door, this squat brick building served the region's Croatian population after a more embellished structure was destroyed by fire. Learn More...

St. Joseph's Church

Lake Linden - Taking over a decade to build, this massive duel towered sandstone church served the valley's French Canadian lumberers and mill workers. Learn More...

St. Mary's Church

Calumet - This gothically inspired sandstone church was built around 1896 by Calumet's substantial Italian born population. Learn More...

St. Paul's Church

Calumet - Originally known as St. Joseph's, this incredibly massive Romanesque cathedral was built in 1909 at a cost of over $100,000 by the region's influential Slovenian population. Learn More...

Temple Jacob

Hancock - The first and only Synagogue in the Upper Peninsula, this petite sandstone and brick structure was built in 1912 and named in honor of the area's most prominent Jewish resident - Jacob Gartner. Learn More...

Temple Square

Calumet - The C&H mine donated this small section of land for the erection of several churches and public buildings, including a Swedish Lutheran, Scottish Presbyterian, and British Episcopal place of worship. Learn More...

Trinity Episcopal Church

Houghton - This gothic styled church was built in 1860 to serve Houghton's Anglican parish. Learn More...