href="https://

Architecture

As fledging mining towns, most business districts in the Keweenaw were shabby affairs. Built quickly and simply from wood, these small buildings would often be one of only a few in the town - most of which ended up being burnt down after a short period of time. But as the mine companies grew and prospered, a sense of stability began to influence the design and construction of these downtown businesses. Soon the cheap and temporary wood structures would be replaced by the stability and prestige of brick and stone - the modern Keweenaw metropolis had been born.

In the mining districts glory, mines such as C&H and Quincy promoted large bustling business districts to serve it. Multiple story department stores and opulent sandstone banks would anchor street corners and rise high above the dirt thoroughfares. Even the small businesses would be forced to conform or risk being left behind. Faux fronts and elaborate cornice pieces began to be placed along wooden structures, while distinctive terra cotta embellishments and sandstone trim became all the rage. Communities flourished and the buildings that survive to this day provide a glimpse to the prosperity that was.


Ahmeek Mine Office

Ahmeek - This stately brick building with sandstone highlights was built to house the main offices for the Ahmeek Mine. Learn More...

C&H Bath House

Calumet - In addition to its compliment of public baths available to C&H's employees, this Classic Revival building built in 1910 also housed a 40 foot swimming pool. Learn More...

C&H General Offices

Calumet - This immaculate crafted stone and brick trimmed building was originally built to house the C&H Mine's general offices but today is home to the Keweenaw National Historic Park. Learn More...

C&H Pay Office

Lake Linden - Along with its massive stamp mill complex C&H erected this simple brick building to provide administrative space for the mills as well as its pay office. Learn More...

C&H Public Library

Calumet - The C&H Mine built this impressive stone building to house a well-stocked public library and bathhouse for use by its employees and their families. Learn More...

Calumet Opera House

Calumet - Built in 1900 at a cost of over $70,000, this Italian Renaissance masterpiece houses Calumet's village offices as well as its magnificently ornate 1200 seat opera house. Learn More...

Calumet State Bank

Calumet - This Romanesque inspired brick building was built in 1906 to house one of the village's premier banking institutions - Calumet State Bank. Learn More...

Caregie Library

Houghton - The Carnegie Foundation provided $15,000 towards the construction of Houghton's first and only public library, built in 1909. Learn More...

Curto's Saloon

Calumet - This narrow building was home to only one of the dozens of saloons that called Calumet home and featured an ornate tiffany styled back bar. Learn More...

Dee Block

Houghton - Built in 1899 this massive sandstone business block once housed Houghton's post office but is more famously known as the home to the Daily Mining Gazette. Learn More...

D&N Bank Building

Hancock - This unique art-deco styled building was built in 1939 to house the main branch of the Detroit and Northern Savings and Loan, which would later become D&N Bank. Learn More...

Douglass House

Houghton - This highly ornate brick and terra cotta structure built in 1900 was home to the Copper Country's finest and most prestigious hotel, originally established in 1860. Learn More...

Eagle Harbor Store

Eagle Harbor - This simple wood framed building is the oldest store still standing in the Copper Country, built in the 1850's to house the Foley and Smith General Store. Learn More...

First National Bank (1888)

Hancock - This Classical Revival brick and terra cotta trimmed building was originally built in 1888 for the First National Bank of Hancock. Learn More...

First National Bank (1905)

Hancock - Fronted with massive fluted columns and sporting a engraved pediment over its main entrance, this Classic Revival inspired beauty was the result of a massive 1913 renovation to the second home to the First National Bank of Hancock. Learn More...

First National Bank of Laurium

Laurium - Erected in 1907 in an incredibly rich Italian Renaissance style, this heavily terra-cotta embellished masterpiece originally housed the First National Bank of Laurium. Learn More...

German Hotel and Jail

Eagle River - This simple wood framed house was once the home to the German Hotel, along with the area's first jail built in its attic. Learn More...

Hotel Scott

Hancock - This massive five story brick building was once home to Hancock's most prestigious hotel featuring over 90 rooms laid out around a centralized sunlit atrium. Learn More...

Houghton Club

Houghton - Built in 1910 this Classical Revival building was home to the highly exclusive Houghton Club, whose members represented Houghton's elite and influential upper class. Learn More...

Houghton County Courthouse

Houghton - Reflecting the region's mine inspired prosperity is this stately brick and sandstone trimmed courthouse complete with a roof adorned with the very metal that gave the area its name. Learn More...

Houghton Fire Hall

Houghton - In addition to its role housing Houghton's fire department, this two story brick building was also the first home of the Michigan College of Mines, now known as Michigan Tech. Learn More...

Houghton National Bank

Houghton - Having the distinction of being Houghton's first masonry commercial block, this Romanesque inspired brick building features an impressive sandstone arcade along its front facade. Learn More...

Houghton Power House

Houghton Power House

Houghton - This large sandstone building once housed electric generators for the Peninsular Electric Light and Power Company, the Copper Country's earliest electric utility company. Learn More...

Kaleva Temple

South Range - This handsome sandstone building was built in 1910 by the Knights of Kaleva, a Finnish fraternal organization dedicated to the preservation and promotion of Finnish culture. Learn More...

Keweenaw County Courthouse

Eagle River - This classically inspired structure has the distinction of being Michigan's oldest courthouse and continues to be home to the county seat still today. Learn More...

Keweenaw Mountain Lodge

Copper Harbor - This rustic north woods inspired lodge was built during the Depression as part of a government works project, along with a complimentary set of cabins and an adjacent 9-hole golf course. Learn More...

Lake Linden Village Hall

Lake Linden - This Romanesque Revival building was built in 1902 to house the fire department and village offices for the mill town of Lake Linden. Learn More...

Laurium Village Hall

Laurium - Looking more like a medieval castle then a village hall, this sandstone faced structure was built in 1914 using stone reclaimed from the village's old gutters. Learn More...

Lieblein's Wholesale Grocer

Hancock - Serving as the headquarters for the Lieblein's Grocery business, this impressive sandstone complex features the store's main warehouse along with a complimenting storefront. Learn More...

Marta Block

Laurium - Built in 1900 this picturesque three story sandstone building was originally home to a bakery and lodge hall. Learn More...

Masonic Temple

Houghton - Adorned with a generous supply of masonic symbology, this impressive four story sandstone building houses a massive meeting hall originally used by the Houghton chapter of Freemasons. Learn More...

Paine & Webber Building

Calumet - This simple and petite one story building was home to the Calumet branch of the Paine & Webber stock brokerage. Learn More...

Quincy Mine Office

Hancock - Built in 1897, this stately sandstone building served as the national headquarters of the Quincy Mining Company. Learn More...

Red Jacket Fire Hall

Calumet - Easily one of the region's most impressive structures, this sandstone faced Romanesque Revival masterpiece served as the village's fire hall for over 60 years. Learn More...

Ruppe & Son Department Store

Calumet - Housing the Ruppe & Son General Merchandise Store, this incredibly ornate terra cotta embellished brick facade was added to the store's original building in 1899 to keep pace with its competitors. Learn More...

Ryan Block

Calumet - This three story sandstone commercial block was built in 1898 to house the E.J. Ryan Store, and features an unique bowed oriel along its front facade. Learn More...

Schnieder Building

Hancock - Built in 1906 this three story brick commercial block housed apartments on its upper floors and the Schneider owned saloon on its first. Learn More...

Shelden Dee Block

Houghton - This Chicago Styled and handsomely ornate sandstone office block was built in 1900 for two of Houghton's most influential families - the Dees and the Sheldens. Learn More...

Sherriff's Residence and Jail

Eagle River - This combination jail and sheriff's residence was built in 1886 to serve increasingly populated towns along the Keweenaw's northern reaches. Learn More...

South Range Community Hall

South Range - This sandstone faced community center was built during the Depression as part of a Civil Works Administration work project and featured a large auditorium and dance floor. Learn More...

South Range State Bank

South Range - This Classical Revival building was originally built to house the newly established South Range Bank in 1903. Learn More...

State Savings Bank

Laurium - Built in 1901, this three story brick and sandstone commercial block was home to Laurium's State Savings Bank. Learn More...

Union Building

Calumet - Built on land donated by C&H and financed by a unique partnership between two fraternal organizations, this three story brick building housed meeting halls for both the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and the Free Masons. Learn More...

Vertin Brothers Department Store

Calumet - While originally only a modest two stories in height, the region's economic prowess prompted the Vertin Brothers to add an additional two stories and create this impressive commercial block. Learn More...

Vivian's Department Store

Laurium - Built in 1894 this three story Italian Renaissance styled building wasy home to the region's largest department store. Learn More...

Wright Block

Hancock - Originally built in 1900, this Classically inspired brick and sandstone beauty was home to Superior National Bank and Gartner's Department Store. Learn More...